It feels frivolous to even go holiday shopping with the seeds of destruction of public education, democracy, social welfare and civil rights being sown at every turn by the Pres. elect and his slew of corrupt appointees. But I think my family will be less than pleased if all I give them this year are donations in their name to the ACLU, so I made an activist gift giving plan. Here it is:
Gifts that Fight Back
To fight for civil rights:
- Shop the ACLU – T-shirts, baby clothes, mugs, stickers, umbrellas and more
- Feminist Apparel — Shop here for your incendiary feminist clothing! Clothes that read Pussies against Trump/ Ask me about my feminist agenda/ Girls just want to have fundamental human rights and more!
- Support Black Lives Matter – t-shirts, pins
- NAACP legal defense fund– Shirts for justice!
- Time to reread classics: Buy The Autobiography of Malcolm X for instance
- Refoundry– Buy furniture made by formerly incarcerated individuals in NY
To support a free and creditable press:
- Get a friend or family member a subscription to a creditable news source: Washington Post, NY times, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Nation and more
- Buy something to support the press:New York Times Store, Wash Post Store, Shop NPR, Shop New Yorker – collectibles, art, photo prints, umbrellas, kitchen ware, shirts, hats and more.
To support women’s reproductive health:
- Planned Parenthood store : Shirts, mugs, blankets and more!
- Nasty Women T-shirt : Money raised supports Planned Parenthood
To support public education:
- Shop the Badass Teachers Association Store
- I love my public school! T-shirts
- Buy an activist book: Diane Ravitch’s New book– The Death and Life of the Great American School System, Kozol- The Shame of a Nation
To fight climate change and stand for science:
- 350.org -fossil free shirts
- Sierra Club store -clothes, prints, office items, bags
- Give the Gift of Trees : An organization dedicated to planting trees around the world
- Support Audubon – gifts for bird lovers!
- Join the Union of Concerned Scientists– or make a donation in memory of a loved one!
Support public institutions:
- Give a museum membership. Many of these institutions could lose funding in the coming years. AMNH membership, Hall of Science, Shop the Tenement Museum store, Museo Del Barrio, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, National Museum of African American History and Culture: Membership to name a few…
- New York Public Library Store!
If you have more ideas, organizations or links- please share via comments! I will keep adding as I find more. Spread the word: Give gifts that fight back this holiday season!