Once again it feels frivolous to go holiday shopping this year with everything good under attack by the people (Republicans +Trump) who hold power. But I think my family will be less than pleased if all I give them this year are donations in their name, so I made an activist gift giving plan. Here it is:
Gifts that Fight Back
To fight for civil rights:
- Shop the ACLU – T-shirts, baby clothes, mugs, stickers, umbrellas and more
- Feminist Apparel — Shop here for your incendiary feminist clothing! Clothes that read Pussies against Trump/ Ask me about my feminist agenda/ Girls just want to have fundamental human rights and more!
- Support Black Lives Matter – t-shirts, pins
- NAACP legal defense fund– Shirts for justice!
- Time to reread classics and find new ones: Buy The Autobiography of Malcolm X for instance or Naomi Klein’s NO is Not Enough
- Refoundry– Buy furniture made by formerly incarcerated individuals in NY
To support a free and creditable press:
- Get a friend or family member a subscription to a creditable news source: Washington Post, NY times, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Nation and more
- Buy something to support the press:New York Times Store, Wash Post Store, Shop NPR, Shop New Yorker – collectibles, art, photo prints, umbrellas, kitchen ware, shirts, hats and more.
To support women’s reproductive health:
- Planned Parenthood store : Shirts, mugs, blankets and more!
- Nasty Women T-shirt : Money raised supports Planned Parenthood
To support public education:
- Shop the Badass Teachers Association Store
- I love my public school! T-shirts
- Buy an activist book: Diane Ravitch’s New book– The Death and Life of the Great American School System, Kozol- The Shame of a Nation
To fight climate change and stand for science:
- 350.org -fossil free shirts
- Sierra Club store -clothes, prints, office items, bags
- Give the Gift of Trees : An organization dedicated to planting trees around the world
- Support Audubon – gifts for bird lovers!
- Join the Union of Concerned Scientists– or make a donation in memory of a loved one!
Support public institutions:
- Give a museum membership. AMNH membership, Hall of Science, Shop the Tenement Museum store, Museo Del Barrio, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, National Museum of African American History and Culture: Membership to name a few…
- New York Public Library Store!
If you have more ideas, organizations or links- please share via comments! I will keep adding as I find more. Spread the word: Give gifts that fight back this holiday season!